Top World News
Myanmar earthquake: China and others step into aid gap left by Trump cuts
Mar 31, 2025 - World
US president accused of blowing up country’s ability to respond to disasters by removing fundingAs aid from China, Russia, India and the UK begins to flow into Myanmar, there is a conspicuous gap in global support from the world’s richest country: the US.The powerful 7.7-magnitude quake that struck central Myanmar on Friday has caused widespread destruction, flattening swathes of the country’s second-largest city, Mandalay, and even a tower block in the Thai capital, Bangkok, more than 600 miles (1,000km) away. Continue reading...

Aftermath of the Myanmar earthquake – a visual guide
Mar 31, 2025 - World
The 7.7 magnitude quake on Friday wrought destruction across central areas of the country, including the capitalA devastating earthquake has wrought destruction across central Myanmar, toppling ancient sites, bringing down hospital buildings and collapsing homes.The 7.7 magnitude quake on Friday was followed by a number of aftershocks along the Sagaing fault. It also caused damage in neighbouring Thailand, where a skyscraper under construction collapsed in Bangkok. Continue reading...
NYU canceled talk on USAID cuts for being ‘anti-governmental’, doctor says
Mar 31, 2025 - World
University called Dr Joanne Liu, ex-head of Doctors Without Borders, after planning to speak on Gaza and federal cutsThe former international head of Doctors Without Borders says she was left “stunned” after New York University canceled her presentation because some of her slides discussing cuts at the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) could be viewed as “anti-governmental”.Dr Joanne Liu, a pediatric emergency physician at Sainte-Justine hospital and a professor at McGill University in Montreal, Canada, who also served as the former international president of Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders), told CTV News last week that she was scheduled on 19 March to give a presentation at her alma mater on challenges in humanitarian crises. Continue reading...

'Scared and sick': CNN guest warns focus put on special elections is a bad sign for Trump
Mar 31, 2025 - World
CNN's John Berman asked conservative commentator Scott Jennings to explain in one sentence what he thinks President Donald Trump's tariff policy will look like when he announces it on April 2, adding, "Do you think [the president] can explain it in one sentence today?" "Well, I would never want to predict or get ahead of Donald Trump," Jennings began. "But my view is, is that he's been very clear that he believes tariffs will force more manufacturing, more production, more onshoring into the United States, which will ultimately be good for the working class of America." Jennings said the people who agree with the president are the unions, like the head of the United Auto Workers, Shawn Fain. ALSO READ: ‘False choice’: GOP congressman breaks ranks to deliver Trump history lesson in NY Times "But Scott, what's he doing? What's he going to do?" Berman continued. "Because he said 'reciprocal' — now he's maybe saying not now." Berman added that no one eally knows where Trump is going with this strategy, "and this is like two days from now." Jennings explained the general principle behind Trump's thinking is "he believes that tariffs force jobs, manufacturing and production back into the United States. The working class will benefit from this. and if allowed to play out over the long term, it will benefit, you know, the core working class constituency that he believes has been hollowed out by trade policies of the past. that is their general economic view." ALSO READ: 'Not much I can do': GOP senator gives up fight against Trump's tariffs Peter Navarro, senior counselor for trade, "says 10 years, $6 trillion of revenue of revenue from tariffs, which some economists will tell you is $6 trillion in taxes," Berman added. Democratic political consultant Maria Cardona claimed, "This is something that Americans are actually becoming very concerned with, and that's why you're seeing the volatility in all of these special elections. The fact that we are even talking about the two special elections in Florida tomorrow, John, I think is an indication of how scared and sick voters are about what Trump is imposing on them versus what they expected because of his promises during the election." Trump said on Sunday that the reciprocal tariffs he plans to announce this week will include all nations, "not just a smaller group of 10 to 15 countries with the biggest trade imbalances," according to NBC News.Watch the video below or at this link.
'People fight back': Military expert warns Trump vow could trigger decades-long insurgency
Mar 31, 2025 - World
President Donald Trump has repeatedly mused about making Canada into America's "51st state," which has prompted one expert to conduct a war game mapping how a U.S. invasion of Canada would play out.The Montreal Gazette reported that Aisha Ahmad, a political scientist at the University of Toronto, said that the American military would likely easily defeat Canada were Trump to really give the green light for an invasion.However, he also said that wouldn't be the end of the story as Canadians would not passively accept being conquered.In fact, Ahmad believes that Canadians would wage a bloody, decades-long insurgency against the United States until the Americans left their country.ALSO READ: 'A lot of terror': Conservative claims GOP senator looks secretly horrified by Trump plans“It’s impossible to annex Canada without violence,” said Ahmad, who in the past has advised American officials at the United States Department of Defense about counter-insurgency strategies. “No one is born an insurgent or resistance fighter. This is something that happens to people when their mom is killed, or when their kids are unable to get to a hospital. People fight back because they have to.”He said that the U.S. military would struggle to occupy Canada when hundreds of thousands of Canadians would be engaged in a concerted campaign of sabotage that they would adopt as a "secret, part-time job.""Trump is delusional if he believes that 40 million Canadians will passively accept conquest," he emphasized.In fact, it would only take one percent of the Canadian population working as insurgents to produce a force of 400,000 fighters, which would be ten times the number of Taliban fighters who eventually pushed the American military out of Afghanistan after a 20-year occupation.