Top World News
Frustration mounts as Trump makes 'mess' of son-in-law's work
Aug 18, 2026 - World 
President Donald Trump contradicted Special Envoy for Peace Jared Kushner on Tuesday, flatly denying that any Iran talks were happening hours after Kushner called them active and ongoing.Trump wrote on Truth Social that "there are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran."Kushner had made an opposite claim during a Fox News interview with correspondent Trey Yingst the day before.MS NOW White House correspondent Garrett Haake flagged the gap between what the president's son-in-law said and what the president himself posted."White House messaging on Iran is a mess today," Haake wrote on X.Only a day earlier, Kushner said that the Trump administration was "having very positive and active conversations" with the Iranian government. "I will say that the conversations between the U.S. government and different areas of the Iranian government at all levels is probably more robust than it's maybe ever been. We are having very positive and active conversations," Kushner told Fox News.NewsNation White House correspondent Kellie Meyer expressed frustration over the mixed messages."President Trump just said yesterday that the administration was talking with Iran. This is what makes it difficult to convey to the American people / our viewers what's going on here," wrote NewsNation White House correspondent Kellie Meyer.On Monday, Trump himself had acknowledged a backchannel to Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps to Fox News — the same day Kushner spoke with Yingst."They're good poker players, but they're dying," Trump told Fox News of Iran's leadership."I have no time schedule," the president added. "I'm not in a hurry."
Trump is threatening to bomb Oman, but why?
Aug 18, 2026 - World 
The world knows that U.S. President Donald Trump is angry with Iran. But he's not happy with the small country lying across the Strait of Hormuz from the Islamic Republic, either: Oman.
Trump sticks a fork in peace talks with out-of-left-field announcement
Aug 18, 2026 - World 
Peace talks between Washington and Tehran are officially dead, according to a statement released by President Donald Trump on Tuesday, despite the president having claimed talks were ongoing just days earlier.“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Trump wrote on his social media platform Truth Social. “The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated. Thank you for your attention to this matter!”As recently as last week, Trump told Real America’s Voice that he was still “sort of negotiating” with Iranian leadership, and the day before that, he told Axios that his administration was “semi-negotiating” with Tehran, despite Iranian claims to the contrary.Iran has instead engaged in negotiations with Oman on a deal to manage traffic flow through the Strait of Hormuz, and has explicitly excluded the United States from the talks. When asked Monday for his thoughts on the Iran-Oman negotiations, Trump threatened to “bomb the S” out of Oman should they “get in the way” of his administration’s efforts to fully re-open the strait, according to Fox News’ Trey Yingst.
Philippine school shooter kills fellow student and himself in livestreamed attack
Aug 18, 2026 - World 
Country’s second fatal school shooting in two months took place in southern city of Zamboanga A student livestreamed himself shooting and killing another pupil in a classroom in the southern Philippines before taking his own life, the second school attack in the country in less than two months.The shooting took place at a school attached to Ateneo de Zamboanga University in the southern city of Zamboanga, a Catholic private institution in western Mindanao. Zamboanga city’s mayor, Khymer Adan Olaso, told the DZMM radio station that the shooter “managed to enter carrying a high-powered firearm and a .45-calibre pistol”. Continue reading...
Fighting in southwestern Somalia kills dozens of people, including 4 civilians
Aug 18, 2026 - World 
Fierce fighting between government troops and militias in Somalia's southwestern city of Baidoa has killed dozens, including at least four civilians
